One of the most magical things about the festive season is the Christmas cookies, right? They’re adorable and delicious, and truly impossible to resist. There’s just one problem. They’re not that good for you. At best, when they’re homemade, they’re packed with refined sugar and heavy flours, and at worst, when you buy them premade; they’re often full of nasty, unpronounceable ingredients and artificial flavours.
But what if we told you that you could have all the deliciousness and warm, fuzzy feelings you get from nibbling on Christmas cookies without any of the bad stuff? Sounds almost too good to be true, but you’re in luck. Our December smoothie is just that. All of the flavours and feelings of the season all wrapped up into the cosiest, tastiest smoothie we think we’ve ever made. And, it’s totally guilt-free.
In fact, it’s actually totally good for you. Each smoothie is loaded with raw ginger, bananas, raw turmeric, cashew milk, almond butter, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and maca. Not only do all of those wonderful ingredients make things incredibly tasty but they also pack a real nutritional punch. We’re breaking down the ingredients for you here and explaining what each one brings to the table.
- Raw ginger is one of the best ingredients we know to help fight off the flu and boost the immune system, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with nausea and gastrointestinal irritation, which may be music to your ears if you’ve come down with the flu.
- Bananas are high in potassium, protein and fibre. Not only do these give our Christmas Cookie Smoothie its rich, creamy texture but also help keep you full and satiated longer. Plus, the fibre will help keep things running smoothly in your body.
- Raw turmeric is another strong immune booster. It has amazing anti-inflammatory, anti-flatulence and anti-microbial properties that make it a true nutritional powerhouse. Plus, we adore the hit of colour it brings to the smoothie.
- Almond butter and the nut caramel in the smoothie make it completely luxurious, without the need to add refined sugars. They also help to ramp up the protein content, keeping you fuller, longer.
- Cashew milk brings a creamy, silky body to the smoothie. Cashews are also packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like vitamins E, K and B-6, as well as magnesium, iron and zinc. All of these are incredibly important for maintaining good bodily function.
- Cinnamon may be one of the most delicious spices on earth, but it’s also one of the healthiest. It’s helpful in lowering blood sugar levels, reducing heart disease risk factors and is packed with antioxidants.
- Allspice may be a little less well known than cinnamon, but it certainly shouldn’t be overlooked. It aids digestion, improves circulation and boost immunity, as well as protecting heart health.
- Maca is one of our most reached for superfoods. It has myriad benefits including increased energy levels, vitality, endurance and improved libido. It is also said to reduce anxiety and stress and promote healthy brain function.